Thursday, May 27, 2010

Goodwill Store

My auto mechanic son Zeb brought his family over this weekend when he came to repair the air conditioning in my son-in-law's car. Zeb and Amanda have two boys.  Jonas is the third of the four grandsons born into our family in 2009. Their oldest son Sidney (the inspiration behind the Sid Series) decided he wanted to stay for a few days. This being a spur-of-the-moment decision, he did not have a change of clothes with him. No problem. Von-Von would take him shopping the next day.

I really didn't have the extra money to spend on clothes, so I took him to the Goodwill Store not far from me. Before arriving he asked me about our choice of clothing stores.

"Isn't this place for the homeless or poor people to get clothes for free?" he asked.

"Nah," I said, "this is the place where anyone can get alot of good used stuff for a little bit of money. Think of it as a huge garage sale."

He was fine with that explanation and after picking out four shirts and three pairs of jeans we headed to the cashier where our total came to $17. Walking to the car with my receipt in hand, I said, "Sidney, can you believe we got all this for less than $20? Goodwill Store is the place where smart people shop!"

We had a great time together while he was here. Slip-n-slide, movies, video games, computer, drawing, talking, shopping, and going to Cracker Barrel for pancakes at mid-day. For me, the most profound thing was when he came into my office where I was blogging on We Are One in Spirit. He saw the title of a post I was working on: "Empathy From a Ghost." I asked him if he wanted to read my ghost story and he said yes so I read it aloud to him. Afterward he was quiet, but the phone rang and his dad was giving me instruction of where to meet him to pick Sid up. I think it is important to be real with kids. I know Sidney saw spirits when he was much younger--he even talked to me about it then, but now that he is nine years old, he doesn't mention it any more. On the drive to meet Zeb, Sid asked me if my ghost story was true. I told him it was. Again he was quiet. I'm not sure what he was thinking about, but he was sure taking it all in.

Bookmark and Share

Purchase The Sid Series on http://tinyurl.com/AmazonSidSeries

1 comment:

  1. I love the message you shared with Sid about the ghost story, but also about going to Goodwill. The great thing is too that Goodwill helps people with jobs that make have a hard time getting a job. I love donating to Goodwill and love shopping there. I get the biggest kick out of getting a bag full of clothers for $25-$30!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I would like to personally respond to your comment. I will post it as soon as I can review it.